Living in Posey County banner graphic
Welcome to Posey County graphic
horizontal rule graphic

Living and Working in Posey County Indiana

Posey County, Indiana was named in 1814 for Indiana Territory Governor Thomas Posey. The county seat and largest city is Mount Vernon with a population of 7,387 based on the 2002 census. Other towns in the county, listed by size in descending order are; Poseyville, New Harmony, Cynthiana and Griffin The county encompasses an area of 408.5 square miles with a population of 66.1 per square mile.

If you need a newcomer's packet, or wish to purchase a video, phone book or other area information from the Chamber, send us an e-mail, or call 812-838-3639 for assistance.

Posey County Schools

Posey County has a consolidated public education system which places emphasis on academic excellence. The system is operated by the Posey County School Corporation and includes all public schools in the county from K-12th grades. To see detailed information on the county school system or a specific school, click here for the Indiana Department of Education data. Following is a list of schools in the county and contact information for each.

Mt. Vernon

Mt. Vernon Senior High School
Stephen Riordan, Principal
l700 Harriett Street
812-838-4356 / 812-833-2050
Mt. Vernon Junior High School
Jerry Funkhouser, Principal
701 Tile Factory Road
812-833-2077 / 812-833-2069
Farmersville Elementary School
Dr. Mark Rice, Principal
4065 Highway 69 South
812-838-6593
Hedges Central School
Barbara Lanman-Givens, Principal
716 Locust Street
812-833-2070
Marrs Elementary School
Greg DeWeese, Principal
9201 Highway 62985-2082
West Elementary School
Jodi Pfister, Principal
1105 W. Fourth Street
812-833-2072
Special Education Office
Fran Osborne-Wood, Director
601 W. Fourth Street
812-838-5516 or 800-779-6927
Administration Office
Dr. Keith Spurgeon, Superintendent
1000 W. Fourth Street
812-838-4471
Opportunity Center
Jerry Kukendall, Coordinator
605 W. Fourth Street
812-833-3350
Back to Top

New Harmony

New Harmony School
Deborah Caudill, Principal
1000 East Street
682-4401
Administration Office
Steve Miller, Superintendent
1000 East Street
812-682-4661

Poseyville

North Posey Senior High School
Todd Camp, Principal
5900 High School Road
812-673-4242 / 812-874-4242
North Posey Junior High School
Kevin Sergesketter, Principal
5394 High School Road
812-673-4244 / 812- 874-4244
North Elementary School
Tim Teel, Principal
63 W. Fletchall Street
812-874-2710
South Terrace Elementary School
Kelly Carlton, Principal
8427 Hoehn Road
812-985-3180
Administration Office
John Wood, Superintendent
101 North Church
812-874-2243
Back to Top

Posey County Parochial Schools

St. Matthews
Sara Ziliak, Principal
401 Mulberry Street
812-838-3621
St. Phillips
Jenny Burris, Principal
3420 S. St. Phillips Road
Mt. Vernon, IN 47620
812-985-2447
St. Wendell
Ann Freeman, Principal
4725 St. Wendell-Cynthiana Road
Wadesville, IN 47638
812-963-3958
Back to Top

Area Realtors

*ERA FIRST ADVANTAGE REAL ESTATE
228 E. Fourth Street - 812-838-5588

Mt. Vernon, IN 47620
After 5:00 p.m. call:
Glenn Proctor - 812-838-4972
Kim Steele - 812-838-5588

*HORTON, LARRY & ASSOCIATES LTD.
628 Walnut Street - 812-838-3906

Mt. Vernon, IN 47620

*MASON, CONNIE, THE REALTY GROUP
1854 Farmersville Road - 812-838-3454

Mt. Vernon, IN 47620

LAWRENCE, CHARLES HOMES
230 W. Grant Street - 812-838-3204

Mt. Vernon, IN 47620

*SHRODE AGENCY, INC.
431 E. Fourth Street - 812- 838-4479
After 5:00 p.m. call:
Kenneth R. Johnson - 812 449-6488
M. Michelle Hudson - 812-457-4928
Teresa Spivey - 812 483-3861
Julia Vantlin - 812 455-0461
Kim Kennedy - 812 454-1997
Delene Schmitz - 812 483-0785
Loretta Englebright - 812- 483-6930
Monica Kittinger - 812 457-9993
Jill Duncan - 812-457-0345
Cindy Roeder - 812 454-3584

POSEY COUNTY REALTY
610 Grant Street - 812-838-2121

Mt. Vernon, IN 47620
After 5:00 p.m. call:
Jim Davis - 812838-4600
Larry Davis - 812 838-0033
Laird Davis - 812 838-5890
Jim Walker - 812 838-3419

WILSON AUCTION & REALTY, INC.
State Road 66 East, New Harmony
William Wilson, Owner - 812-682-4000
*Member of the Posey County Chamber of Commerce The Posey County Chamber of Commerce provides this information as a service and makes no warranty as to the accuracy of its contents, which in general has been provided by third parties.
Back to Top

APARTMENTS, DUPLEXES, MOBILE HOMES AND RENTAL HOMES

APARTMENTS/DUPLEXES - MT. VERNON
Brookside Apartments, Brookside Drive, 838-6307 16 units; (4) two-bedrooms; (12) one-bedrooms

Building at 328 E. Second Street, 682-3032 or 682-3374; 8 units; (6) one-bedrooms; (2) two bedrooms

Cloverleaf Circle, 1500 Jefferson Drive, for senior citizens and handicap only, 838-6356, (84) units; one bedroom

College Avenue Apartments, 505 College Avenue, Ralph Billman, Manager, 838-2878, (7) units; one and two bedrooms

Country Manor Duplexes, Highway 69 North, owned by Larry Horton, 838-3906, (4) two-bedroom duplexes

Green Valley Apartments, 515 Green Valley Drive, 838-0041, (57) units; one and two bedrooms, furnished and unfurnished. Two-bedroom townhouse. Depost required, Laundry facilities

Four Seasons Realty of Mt. Vernon, 838-0175 or 838-482l, Rodney Cox, (4) two-bedroom apartments. No section 8

Four Seasons Realty of Mt. Vernon, Pfafflin Ct., Fielding Ct., Leffel Ct., 838-0175 or 838-4821, Rodney Cox, (18) two and three bedroom duplexes with garage. No section 8

Hickory Hollow Apartments, Hidden Valley Lane (near Stucco House) 985-3536

Lamplight Manor, Corner of Lincoln and Main Streets, 838-9712, Eligible occupants must be low to moderate income families or senior citizens

525 Locust Street, 838-0953, furnished rooms, laundry facilities, common kitchen and bath, utilities furnished

Pecan Hill Apartments, 320 E. Fourth Street, 838-9959, efficiencies, one and two bedrooms, Allen Davis

Pine Tree Apartments, 505 E. Grant Street, 838-6101, (1) one bedroom, (1) two bedroom, (1) three bedroom, Deposit required, no smoking, no pets

River View Manor Apartments, Edson and Bluff Streets, 838-9959, one and two bedrooms, Allen Davis

Sammett Rental, 985-5766, 8 units, (4) one bedroom, (4) two bedroom, require matching deposits.

Southwind Apartments, 465 W. Ninth Street, 838-2088, elderly, low, and middle income, (64) one bedrooms

The Meadows, Clover Street & Smith Road, 838-6155, (24) units, deluxe duplex community, two bedroom, furnished, one handicapped unit

Village Apartments of Mt. Vernon, N. Main Street, 838-0665, elderly, handicapped, & disabled only

Western Hills Apartments, Country Club Road, (22) units, one and two bedrooms, unfurnished. Stan Billman, owner, day # 838-4889, evening # 838-9913

Young Manor Apartments, 413 - 425 E. Tenth Street, Tom and Linda Young, 838-9833 or 490-9833, (7) units, one and two bedrooms, one is furnished, one three bedroom

Back to Top

APARTMENTS/DUPLEXES - CYNTHIANA
Pleasant View Apartments of Cynthiana,
(812) 845-3535 or (618) 544-2254, (20) one bedrooms, Equal Opportunity Housing


APARTMENTS/DUPLEXES - WADESVILLE
Big Creek Apartments, 8551 Old Blairsville Road, Wadesville, (812) 985-9652 one and two bedrooms

Wadesville Homes of Wadesville, High and West Street, Wadesville (812) 673-4386 or (618) 544-2254 (8) one bedrooms. Equal Housing Opportunity


CAMPING AVAILABILITY
Four Seasons Realty of Mt. Vernon, Rodney Cox, 838-0175 or 838-4821; full service spots, cable TV
High speed Internet access

MOBILE HOME PARKS
Creekside Trailer Park, Leonard Road, Robert Stolz, 985-0626

Goff Trailer Park, 1701 Farmersville Road., Brenda Goff, 838-6195


Mobile Manor Trailer Park, 727 W. Fourth Street, Posey County Co-op, Sherri Allen, 838-4468


O'Donnell Mobile Home Park, Brittlebank Road, John Russell, Owner, 838-2471

Riverview Mobile Home Court, Harris Drive, 838-3913

Russell's Mobile Home Park, 705 Wolflin Street, 1-23 Lynn Drive, 24-6l Lee Drive, John Russell, 838-2471

Upton Mobil Home Park, Upton Road, John Russell Owner, 838-2471

Wood's Trailer Park, Leonard Road, John Russell, Owner, 838-2471

Wayne DeKemper's Mobile Homes, Old SR 69 South, 838-2875


MOBILE HOME RENTALS
Wayne DeKemper, SR 69 South, 838-2875

RENTAL HOMES
Four Seasons Realty of Mt. Vernon, Rodney Cox, 838-0175 or 838-4821; all-3 bedroom

Larry Horton, 628 Walnut Street, 838-3906,
Commercial property available

Juncker Rentals, 838-3766, (1) four bedroom, (2) two bedroom, (1) three bedroom. Require matching deposits

Posey County Realty, Jim Davis, 838-0033, Laird Davis 838-2121

James Stinson, 916 Church Street, New Harmony,
682-4724

Matt or Gina Walls, Old Beech Road, New Harmony, property in Mt. Vernon for rent, 783-4917

Walter Angermeier or Judy Chapman, 838-4855
Commercial property also available

Back to Top

Posey County - A Historical Perspective

Less than 20 years after the birth of America, the first settlers began to move into southwestern Indiana. In about 1794, six years before Indiana was organized as a territory, an Irishman named Thomas Jones became the first resident of Posey County. In another 20 years the County would be officially organized.

The first settlers, known as squatters, began to arrive regularly in the early 1800s. They were hardy people, industrious, religious, of the earth. Such is the heritage we enjoy today.

Life may have seemed simpler then, but by no means was it easy. At the turn of the 19th century the pioneers survived because the land was fertile and the game in abundance. Their food consisted of wild game, such as deer, bear, turkey, and fowl; grain; vegetables; and wild fruits. Wolves were plentiful and a menace to sheep. Even the death of a hunter was attributed to the attack of a panther.

Their clothing was made from cotton, linen, and wool; homegrown and home manufactured. The home was the center of life before the beginnings of industry, before wild game and fruits were replaced by domestic meats and orchard fruits, before the farms and mechanical reapers and locks and dams.

In 1806 Mt. Vernon's first dwelling house was built by Andrew McFaddin, a member of the family who settled the town. The town, originally known as McFaddins Bluff, was organized in 1810. At the time the McFaddins settled, there was a growth of heavy timber on the site, and as late as 1824 deer were killed at that part of town where Second Street crosses Main Street.

In those same years, Adam Albright started the first tannery on a farm northwest of the town. William Weir and James Black built the first horse-mill. And, in New Harmony, William Hunter built and launched the first flatboat that carried produce to a southern market.

The first steamboat on the Ohio River was built in Pittsburgh in 1811 and steamed past Mt. Vernon during the last weeks of that year. In 1812, John Warrick built the first grist mill near New Harmony. A year later, Squire McFaddin built and operated the first ferry to cross the Ohio River at Mt. Vernon.

During these early years, traveling preachers frequented the area. The Reverend Samuel Jones, a Baptist, was the first preacher to preach in the County. He preached in houses or outdoors because there were no churches.

Posey County was organized in 1814 as part of the Northwest Territory, two years before Indiana was admitted to the Union. It was named in honor of General Thomas Posey, a soldier of the Revolutionary War. That year George Rapp and his colonists settled New Harmony.

In 1814, Mr. Rapp purchased 20,000 acres of land on the Wabash for his followers, and founded one of the most industrious and productive towns in Indiana in the early 19th century.

In the same year the formal education of children began. Thomas Hardy was the first school teacher in the county. He taught in a log school house located on McFaddins Bluff.

The next year saw the coming of the legal profession and the establishment of the court system. On March 20, 1815, the first court in the county convened in the house of Absalom Duckworth about five miles north of Mt. Vernon. A year later, Nathan Ashworth was elected the county's first Justice of the Peace. And in 1817 Nathaniel Huntington was the first attorney admitted to practice and the only one in the county at the time.

Perhaps it was fortunate that in the days of travel on horseback or on foot, the establishment of the judicial system should come early in the countys history. For many brides and grooms-to-be the law brought with it a great convenience, for until this time marriage licenses were obtained in Vincennes.

At the end of 1815 the population in the county had reached nearly 1,620 people.

In 1816 the first county seat was created at Blackford. The first courthouse and jail were constructed of logs at a cost of about $582. A year later on May 29, 1817, the county seat was moved to Springfield where a new brick courthouse was built at a cost of $3,472, a new log jail was constructed for $458.

The original price for land during these years had been $2.00 per acre, but the price soon dropped to $1.25 per acre with bottom lands and swamp ground selling for 12 cents per acre.

In 1817 the first sawmill was built on Black River. In the same year the Murphy Mill near Poseyville was distilling liquor for a price of 25 cents per gallon.

In Mt. Vernon in 1818 Jesse Welborn became the first postmaster and John Williams became the first mail carrier on horseback. In March of that year, Thomas Moore Park, a Mt. Vernon physician, became the county's first murder victim.

The decade of the 1820s was as productive and prosperous as the ones before. In 1820 Jesse Welborn opened the first hotel in Mt. Vernon. The same year a cotton gin was established near Poseyville.

One hundred people resided in Mt. Vernon in 1824. Twenty-two years later, in 1846, the town would be incorporated. The population would reach 1,300 by 1851.

In 1824 Rapp sold the town of New Harmony to Robert Owen, a Welsh social reformer living in Scotland, who transformed New Harmony into a center of science, education and social equality. This simple community came to have an immense impact on our country's art and architecture, public education system, womens suffrage movement and the industrial development of the Midwest.

On October 21, 1825, the county seat was moved from Springfield to Mt. Vernon.

Sometime during this decade Darius North and W. Robison built the first general store in Mt. Vernon on the corner of Store and Water Streets. By the end of 1827 Mt. Vernon sported its first taverns, operated by Lionel Larkin, John Carson, and Mrs. Nancy Nettleton. A year later, perhaps by divine guidance, the Union Church was built at Sixth and Main Streets.

The beginnings of industrial development in the county in the early 1800s has remained as a stimulus to industrial growth in the county through the present. The 1830s saw the construction of the first steam mills, steam sawmills, and water mills. It was during this decade that the newspaper industry was brought to life through establishment of the Mt. Vernon Courier.

However, the decade of the 1830s and those to follow also brought a stop to the industry. In 1833 a cholera outbreak occurred and many people died. Another epidemic occurred in 1851, and in 1873, a two month siege of cholera left 100 persons dead, 80 of whom lived in Mt. Vernon.

During the middle decades of the 1800s there was substantial development of business and transportation. By 1845 the principal business portion of Mt. Vernon was located on Water Street. In that year a many of the buildings were destroyed by fire. In 1850 the Evansville and Crawfordsville railroad was built. The railroad terminated in Evansville and was the only rail service in southern Indiana at the time.

The first boat landing on the Ohio River within the county was built in 1851 at a cost of $40,000. It was located about a mile below the present landing at Mt. Vernon. During the same year a plank road was built connecting Mt. Vernon and New Harmony, but high maintenance costs for the toll road forced its abandonment not long after it opened.

In 1852 a semi-weekly mail route to Princeton was established. Five years later in 1857, the first daily mail route to Evansville by stage was established. At the time postal rates for letters ranged from 25 cents to $1.00.

Growth in business, industry, transportation and production of goods contributed to the economy of the area. In 1854 money that was once stored in cookie jars and sugar sacks could be deposited in the first bank established in Mt. Vernon by George Booker and A.S. Curtis. During the same year the first reaping machine was introduced to the county and farming was on its way toward mechanization.

Mills and distilleries were highly productive. One such operation in Mt. Vernon was producing 225 barrels of flour and 1,300 gallons of whiskey per day in 1855.

During these years prices and wages were on the upswing. Wheat was selling for 40 cents a bushel, oats for 12 cents a bushel, pork for $1.50 to $2.25 per hundred weight; butter was bringing 6 to 12 cents a pound and eggs were selling for 6 1/4 to 12 1/2 cents per dozen. Farmhands were earning $8.00 a month and harvesters were reaping 50 to 62 cents per day.

If the quarter and half-cent money figures sound odd, its because pennies, nickels, and dimes did not exist. Instead, currency was based on 6 1/4, 12 1/2, 25 a 50-cent pieces with an occasional dollar floating around.

In September, 1857, land was purchased near Poseyville for the site of a county poor asylum.

The dawning of the 1860s brought with it the Civil War. The county furnished approximately 1700 men for its battles.

In the year of America's 100th birthday, 1876, the county courthouse was completed at a cost of $75,000. Two years later the county jail was constructed for $17,000.

With recollections of fires, such as the one in 1845 that destroyed a major portion of the businesses in Mt. Vernon, there was no doubt some sense of relief when, on October 28, 1880, Mt. Vernon organized its first fire department. The engine and horses were purchased for $1,400.

In 1880-1881 the Peoria, Decatur, and Evansville railroad was extended through Poseyville to New Harmony. During this time the Louisville and Nashville railroad was operating 23 miles of track in the county and served Mt. Vernon. In addition, the Evansville-Terre Haute railroad connected Cynthiana to the north.

Country preachers and first community churches had been around for some time and by 1881 the county had about 40 churches of various denominations.

Growth in practices and places of worship paralleled the growth in practices and places of schooling. By 1881 the county had eight district schoolhouses plus 12 schoolhouses in towns and villages. It had 119 teachers who were paid a total of $32,383 per year. School met an average of six months per year. The average daily allowance to teachers was $2.37 for males and $1.71 for females. All of the school buildings had been erected for a total cost of $113,580.

In 1886 the county consisted of 420 square miles or 268,000 acres of land. Through the years the rivers and other forces of nature have reduced the area to just under 412 square miles or 263,600 acres. In 1976 72% of the land was under tillage.

Posey County has changed immensely in some ways over its history, very little in others. There have been days of progress and productivity and days of tragedy and disaster. There are many who clearly recall the coming and going of successful businesses, of forests and fields, of floods and disease, of recesses at country schools, of friendly conversations on Sunday mornings, of the continued growing pains of a county and its people.

The names of towns and villages have also come and gone but their people have stayed. Farmersville was named as early as 1813, but what has happened to Palestine and Calvin Station and New Baltimore and Blackford? So it has been with the townships. Black, Robb, Marrs, Smith, Lynn, and Wagnon all formed in 1817, but what happened to Wagnon? And Center township was added 37 years after the county's townships had originally been created.

Perhaps an appropriate ending to this is the story of a township that never existed at all on paper or on land, but existed more than any other in the minds of many pioneers in the early 1800s. Hoop-pole Township.

Soon after the county seat was moved to Mt. Vernon, which was in the year 1825, barrel making became an important business in Mt. Vernon. William Hatfield and John Cooper were engaged in that business on a rather extensive scale. In those days there was a class of robust, fearless men who followed the river for a livelihood, known as flarboatmen. It was not uncommon to see a dozen or more of this kind of craft floating or lying at the landing. One day, about the year 1833, some ten or fifteen flatboats were at the wharf while their owners were up in town at the taverns and grocers drinking, making merry, and having a good time. Some of them became involved in a quarrel with residents of the town, in which the latter were worsted and routed. The news of the defeat spread over the town and several of the rougher element determined to avenge the wrong perpetrated upon their fellow citizens, so they equipped themselves with hoop-poles from the cooper shop, and another fight ensued, in which the river men were badly beaten, and made a hasty retreat to their boats, pushing into the stream as quickly as possible. They passed, and were passed in turn, by boatmen, and their unsightly appearance called for explanation, and the questioners soon heard the story about the hoop-poles.

After that when a flatboatmen was seen with a broken nose or a black eye, or otherwise damaged appearance, he was accused of having been to Mt. Vernon, and the place soon came to be known up and down the river as Hoop-pole township.

Back to Top

© Posey County Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 633  915 E. 4th Street, Mt Vernon, IN 47620-0633
Tel: 812-838-3639  Fax: 812-838-6358  E-mail: chamber@poseynet.net

Purchase Gift Certificates for Area Merchants

Posey County Schools

  • Mt. Vernon
  • New Harmony
  • Poseyville
  • Posey County Parochial Schools

Area Realtors

Rental Properties

  • Apartments & Duplexes in Mt. Vernon
  • Apartment & Duplexes in Cynthiana
  • Apartments & Duplexes in Wadesville
  • Camping Availability
  • Mobile Home Parks
  • Mobile Home Rentals
  • Rental Homes

Posey County - A Historical Perspective